Amazon and the European Parliament

Just heard that Graham Watson, MEP for West Dorset, has submitted a parliamentary question to the European Commission on Amazon's price parity policy. Here's what he wrote to Sheppards:

Dear Sir

The European Commission tend to take 6-8 weeks to provide written answers to such questions, and I shall be pleased to inform you of their response when I receive it. Another good way to keep updated is through my weekly emailed newsletter from Brussels. In the meantime, I would add. 'Whilst the growth of Amazon as an online presence has presented tremendous opportunities to smaller book retailers, it is vital that operations are conducted in a fair way for all.'


'I know that retailers have been extremely disappointed with Amazon's latest decision on 'pricing parity', and I am looking forward to hearing the European Commission's view on the matter. When it comes to promoting healthy competition, it is important that no one actor dictates the terms of trade to others. I am committed to ensuring that fairness reigns for both retailers and consumers.


I look forward to keeping you updated with developments as they happen.
Graham Watson MEP, Liberal Democrat Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar.

Comments

Unknown said…
I look forward to seeing how this develops. I've got my fingers crossed that they will have to back down on this one.

Popular posts from this blog

Archibald, don't eat the bedclothes

Dick Sparrow - 40 Horse Hitch, and Neil Dimmock's 46 Percherons

The Way Things Were: Pony Magazine in the 1960s